Romans 8:5 Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.
I realize that what I am relating this verse to is a stretch given the context in which it is written. But what I learned when I read this verse I don't want to lose sight of, so I am just going to follow this path.
I am human. Very human. Daily I am reminded of my limitations, short comings and all out failures. Yes, I am human.
My human-ness was born into a sinful nature. Not an arguable fact, I must keep this thought always at the forefront, it's not going to go away. This nature will attempt to lead me down stray paths and to assist me in taking my eyes off of Jesus. This sinful nature of mine can be very dangerous.
So where am I going with this?
My husband and I went on vacation March 30 and returned April 3. Just a quick trip Friday to Tuesday. I knew that I struggled on weekends in general to complete my daily bible readings as I read through the New Testament in 90 days, so to be gone for five days was a cause for concern. If I got behind five days I knew I would never complete my goal.
Oh what to do? I wanted to keep on track with my readings, this was a priority.
Then on Tuesday, March 27 I had an "AH - HA" moment. If I doubled my readings each day before we left I would be right on track when I returned. EXCELLENT.
And that's what I did. All caught up in bible readings, suitcase packed, double checked for toothpaste and deodorant. Camera? Check! Bible? In the suitcase, check! All the important things... Ready, set, go!
However, since we returned from our trip the whole bible reading strategy that I implemented before we left had really been tugging at my heart. Seemed odd I thought, after all I was caught up and on track!
Now look at the last part of that verse: "those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires."
I realized that those who are truly living out this verse with their minds set on what the Spirit desires can only do that as they focus DAILY on our Creator and our Savior.
Reading ahead took away my daily time with God Almighty and the Son of Man. HOW COULD I?
God doesn't operate on a my plan, schedule or brilliant ideas. He has specified what is right and good for me everyday. His plan remains in place in sickness and in health, at work and at rest, in quiet times or chaos.... I need to seek Him, learn from Him, pursue Him passionately EVERYday.
How could I possibly live in accordance with the Spirit and have my mind focused on the desires of the Spirit if I don't visit with the Father daily!??!?!?!
UGH!! I hate it when I do things like this!!!
But then I read:
Romans 8:9a You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you.
I am SOOOO thankful when I learn and grow through my flawed thinking and failure.
The Spirit of God does reside within me. He is living in me, moving and teaching, opening my eyes, leading my path and correcting when needed.
Now I fully know why the fact that I was "caught up" on my reading was creating some troubles for me. I prepared for vacation by reading ahead and packing my bible..... but reality was, I failed to actually take Christ with me by seeking Him each day. He was with me, I saw Him everywhere, I was thankful..... but I did not pursue a two-way relationship during my time away. I allowed my time away to include time away from God.
I know that sounds nuts to write something like that, but that's exactly what happened. And as a result I opened the door to my sinful nature.... a life with my eyes not focused on my LORD.
And then come the consequences that always follow all choices.
My heart had moved from excitedly looking forward to see what message I would hear from God each day, to viewing my reading time as an item on a checklist. I had lost a special connection in my listening to God and until today, I hadn't been able to hear my Father's voice. It began to feel like I would never hear from Him or write His teachings again.
My sinful nature is always sitting close by just waiting for an opportunity to lead me down a stray path in the most disguised manners. Very dangerous.
I am so thankful that I am not controlled by this sinful nature, but that the Spirit of God leads me, guides me, teaches me and corrects me.
Abba Father, I am daily growing in this "free will" you have provided. I know that you have given this because you desire a relationship and I abused that during my time away. Father, forgive me. I made completing my daily reading a priority, my agenda & schedule a priority.... not You. I see how that if I had made You the priority I would have continued to grow in You each day, I would have grown in self-discipline and character. I gave my sinful nature an opportunity and it ran wild. Had I known the consequences of what I was doing I would have made a different choice. But honestly Abba I didn't think about what might result at all. I missed out on my daily reading and Your teaching, on my time with You, and I wasn't available for You to work through to touch those You placed in my path. I love You, Father, and am so thankful to hear Your voice again and to feel my heart jump at my reading time once again. Abba, thank You for this most excellent lesson and I want to plant this deep in my heart so that this importance will grow mighty roots and forever change my relationship with You. Abba I love You. Amen
No comments:
Post a Comment