2 Peter 1:5-8 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
As I read the verses above I thought about milestones or goals as we physically grow. Once a baby is born there are expectations of what they will learn next....
First there are the things that are intrinsic, that should happen automatically. For instance, babies cry when something is awry (hungry, need changed, tummy aches) shoot, they cry the minute they hit cold air for the first time! But then as time goes on they learn to communicate with their cries. They begin to understand what they are feeling and the responses that are provoked in others.
Then they smile, roll over, crawl, walk, learn words, run, form sentences, write, read, math, learn to drive, graduate High School and on and on.
These are expected steps in life for growth and development. Reaching each milestone is an achievement and provides the skills needed for productivity.
When I read these verses I also thought about faith steps for spiritual growth and development.
Upon making my profession of faith, naturally I was filled with the Holy Spirit and as I allowed the Holy Spirit to permeate every fiber of my being I was also filled with Goodness. I became a new creation and I believe others could see His Goodness in me.
As I grew in this His Goodness, this eventually became natural, a second nature. As I felt Him move and change me my desire to draw near to Him and to know Him also grew and I pursued knowledge.
Knowledge in action could be the definition of self-control.
Armed with Goodness, Knowledge and Self-Control..... let the race begin and Perseverance will be developed. As I learn to stand firm and not waiver in Christ, godliness will develop.
Godliness is required to really begin to develop brotherly love as demonstrated and intended through Christ. And once fully resting on this final step then I might get a glimpse of the Love my Father has for me.
Moving through our Christian walk successfully growing in our faith steps also leads to a fruitful and productive life in Christ.
However, just as infants progress at different rates with some never reaching certain steps, so is true for the Christian walk.
I believe that because we are human and this relationship with Christ is dynamic, filled with free-will, we tend to take three steps forward and one or two steps back as we grow. Always progressing in our relationship with Him and learning along the way.
I also believe that each time God reveals something in us that needs to change in order to become more like Him, well the process begins at step one. We start with Goodness and work through each of the steps which solidifies this new characteristic.
I never thought about having steps to faith quite like this, but it makes perfect sense!! I like having this natural progression and knowing what to look for in my development.
Thank You God once again for Your infinite Wisdom, I love having this perspective. Blessings for my Father, I pray Your day is filled with Joy. I hope I can do that, for it comes from my love for You! Through Christ, Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment