Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Those Who Oppose

 2 Timothy 2:23-26  Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will.

Lately it seems that I am having more ridiculous disputes than normal.  It's really strange in how to describe what is going on... sometimes it's a person's attitude, other times their words and still still other times it's the behavior.  For the most the spark is ignited over something so very small.  But once ignited my passion is fueled because I want more for them than I think their perspective is allowing. 

I know what Christ has done for me!   He has broadened and changed my view regarding all facets of life.  So when one of these moments occur, I feel this intensity welling up inside of me that recently has been bursting onto the scene with too much energy to be effective.

I have felt this ineffectiveness, frustration and ultimate conviction by the end of each conversation. 

LIGHTBULB MOMENT!!!  This a huge area that Satan has been entangling me in lately.  I feel this battle all around me.  I honestly HATE this temptation and DESPISE that I continue to take his bait. 

The Good News is that in the beginning I didn't recognize what was happening.  Slowly my eyes and heart have been opened to the entrapment.  Now I am praying that God will use this to change my heart and provide a gentle spirit able to teach.  I love how God uses everything to perfectly teach me and draw me near to Him. 

I am a serious work in progress and thankfully Almighty God has perfect patience as I learn and grow in this life.

From the passage above I see two very important messages that I need to plant deeply in my heart.

1.  Instructions for believers regarding silly arguments:  Don't take the bait!!! Don't engage in foolish arguments or quarrels, they are not leading anywhere.  Be kind to everyone, able to teach, don't hold resentment.

2.  Perspective for believers regarding silly arguments:  Gently instruct those who oppose you and hope that God will lead them to the truth.  They are trapped in Satan's snare and know no different.

The critical words for me in these verses are:  those who oppose him he must gently instruct.

ONLY GOD would come up with this.

It is impossible to instruct anyone effectively when engaging in quarrels or uncontrolled discussions.  Throughout my day, for those who create the feeling of opposition within me, regardless of the topic, I an not to engage, I must be kind, not hold resentment and able to teach.  Teaching cannot happen where I have disqualified myself because of behavior, attitude or words.

It is also not for ME to lead them anywhere, but for God to lead them through me.  The devil has them trapped and taken them captive to do his will.  This is not a battle directed toward me, but directly at God, I only need to be an available vessel for God's use. 

No one is opposing me, they are opposing my God.
I think I have viewed these moments from too small of a perspective myself.... yes, guilty as charged. 

Abba Father, forgive me where I have failed You.  Please don't let my failure and too small perspective stand in Your way of reaching those You desire to speak to.  I am so sorry for my limited view and yet am so thankful that You have opened my eyes to Your Truth.  This nature of mine that I have displayed has a deep rooted history within me, Father please seek and destroy.  I lay before You my heart and mind for You to examine and uproot from me all that is not of You.  Father I long to become all that You created me to be.  I know that with each lesson and purging of my soul I draw more near to You.  Thank You for never leaving me as I am, but forever teaching me, molding me, making me and preparing me for what You have planned.  Father I love You and desire to have a heart that pleases You.  Forgive me for where I fail and I pray I will always receive Your teachings.  Through Christ I come.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment