Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Food Wars...New Cable Show? Not-so-much

I wrote this post Through the Eyes of Children a little while ago.  I loved the perspective I gained as Christ taught, however.....

As I was learning it did seem more about parenting.  I understood how it could apply to me, but I wasn't sure I followed the whole lesson exactly.  Can I just say that "God is so very Good!?!?!"  I may not have seen how to apply the teaching then, but I am thankful that I have this lifeline for today!!!

I need to be honest.  Yesterday, my husband and I started a bible study called "Made to Crave."  It's focus is on shifting your attention/ time/ energy away from food and toward God.  Yesterday I was enlightened to see that I had allowed food to become an idol and as a result I had elevated food above God.

This morning I read:
Ephesians 2:3   All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath.

Satan has been using food to wage a war against my soul.  When I look back on my history with food I do feel like I have been an object of  Satan's wrath in this area.  I always felt so confused and never understood why I did the things I did when it came to food choices.  An area of my life that lacked control.

Simply put, God wants all of me.  God doesn't want me to turn to food hoping for comfort, God wants me to turn to Him knowing I will be fulfilled.

As basic as this idea is, I have just now begun to grasp it.  And now God is asking me "how will I respond?"

In this bible story Mark 10:21-22 the "one" thing I am lacking, at least at the moment, is self-control.  I have been choosing to indulge in Satan's offerings and enticements instead of seeking God.

When I think of giving up something, I am immediately chased by thoughts of what will life be like without "that" something.  I have done this repeatedly in prior weight loss attempts.  Never giving way to let Jesus fulfill the cravings of my soul.

To date, I have yet to find success in my old ways.  I have been the man this scripture speaks about. 

UNTIL NOW!  Now that I have a new perspective, I have new vision and new choices.  God so perfectly armed me with His teaching to guide the way and to encourage me as I travel this path.

Mark 13:16 And He took the children in His arms, put His hands on them and blessed them.

I am His child, too!  When Jesus asks me to choose Him, seek Him, to turn away from past choices, "to come follow Him" I am responding with "LORD, here I am, I choose You to fulfill me!"

I know that this scripture in Mark also applies to me..... Jesus is waiting and when I seek Him, He will put His hands on me too and He is waiting to bless me as I follow Him.

That gets me really excited and jumping for joy at the prospect!!!  To feel free in a new area with Christ.... I can't wait!!!

But just in case I have some issues along the way or start to think that maybe I am missing something as I leave my old ways behind, I can hold onto the words I imagine the children would say to the rich man...

"Whatever He asks, DO IT! DO IT!  You don't want to miss a second away from Jesus!  It will be worth it, nothing else matters!!"  Christ's cheerleaders.... yes they would be a squad of children!  I love that I have my own cheering section!!

Father I don't want to miss a second away from You.  Until now I didn't realize I was doing this, Father forgive me.  I want You to have all of me, I want to keep nothing from You.  I am the best me, when I abide in You.  Father thank You for this teaching and preparation weeks earlier so that today when I begin a new journey I see that You were already waiting for me, knowing what I would need.  And just as You knew weeks ago and provided for today, I know that today you are preparing me equally for the remainder of this day and tomorrow.  Father thank You for Your Son that I may have this relationship restored with You.  Oh, Jesus, thank You for Your obedience to the Father's plan, that I may have life everlasting and be filled with the Holy Spirit.  Thank You Holy Spirit for residing in me and guiding me each step of everyday.  Forgive me where I do not bring glory, honor and praise for what I have received and continue to correct me and draw me closer to You.  Through Christ I come, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment