Friday, March 2, 2012

Through the Eyes of Children

Here's a perspective on living this life with an eternal focus.

Mark 10:21-22 Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." At this the man's face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth. 

Even though this man was seeking Jesus and Jesus knew what reaction would be coming, Scripture says "Jesus looked at him and loved him."  What great encouragement for me to keep in mind when I want to beat myself up regarding doubt, questions or sin.  Jesus knew what He was about to advise this man to do and that his face would fall and he would walk away in sadness. 

When I first give my children instructions for a great plan I am hopeful, full of love and excitement when I approach the converstaion because I know where it's leading.  HOWEVER, I don't know their reaction or response to this information.  I am very human, so a reaction of a fallen face, sadness or disobedience would cause frustration for me.  My love doesn't change, but my mood most likely will.

I don't know how I would approach my children with instruction if I knew in advance how they would react or respond.

But Jesus did know and still it says "He looked at him and loved him."

Jesus continues on in Mark 10:23-24  Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, "How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!" The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again, "Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God!

Jesus addresses His disciples first.  He EXCLAIMS to them "How hard is it for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!!  It's not a question, but an exclamation mark!  It appears the disciples are in shock. 

Are they shocked that Jesus told the man to sell everything, are they shocked at the question or perhaps the whole scene?  Whatever the reason, Jesus exclaims the same statement to the children.

"CHILDREN, how hard is it to enter the kingdom of God!"

I would see the children having no problems in responding immediately and excitedly!!!!  Why?  Look a few verses earlier to see what Jesus demonstrated.....

Mark 10:13-16 People were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them.

Can you imagine!?!?!?!  People were turning the children away.  The children were trying to make their way to Jesus through a large crowd.  They were getting close, the important men near Jesus were in sight, those men are His friends right?  They will help us, won't they?  Hey wait a minute, why can't we see Jesus too?  Why are you sending us away?  Doesn't Jesus want to see us, too? 

I imagine the children thinking, "oh yeah, probably not, we're just kids.  He doesn't have time for us.  We're not important.  And Jesus is VERY important."

"But wait, Jesus is putting the men aside.  He wants us to come to Him.... all of the children!!!!"

And what does Jesus do next?  He took them all in his arms.

Jesus wants to take US all in His arms. 

And think of how the children responded, there in His arms.  I imagine they were glowing, excited and basking in His love.

So then if Jesus asked the children..... "this man just asked how to spend eternity with Me.  I told Him to sell everything and follow Me.  Children, what would you tell Him?"  I suspect the children would leave Jesus just for a moment, run to the man and with every ounce of EXCITED ENERGY they had they would jump up & down, shouting "DO IT!  DO IT!  You don't want to miss a second away from Jesus!  It will be worth it, nothing else matters!!"

What a magnificent scene!!!

What a wonderful lesson!!!!

We don't know how the man responded.  Did he hang his head and walk away in sadness because
he was thinking of all he owned and the sadness he felt as he made mental plans to sell it?
OR  
because he treasured his stuff so much that he knew eternal life would not be possible at that cost?
OR
because he didn't know what he was going to do?

If only the children had been there TO HELP!

Father thank You for this lesson.  How wonderful to have this knowledge and this visual.  Father now that this lesson has passed through my mind and I have a wonderful visual before my eyes, I pray it will land in my heart and grow deep roots.  I long to be filled with EXCITED ENERGY to passionately pursue you all of my days!!!  I love You, Abba!!  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment