It is a great honor when someone approaches you and asks you to baptise them. I have had this humbling experience twice in my lifetime to date. Each time I took the responsibility and role very seriously, though I approached each one uniquely. I loved being a part of God's work, and a part of the person's life.
I knew I took the responsibility seriously, but never looked for instruction in the Word of God. I know, "what was I thinking!?!?!?" Seems like a no-brainer.
And today I wasn't looking for such instruction either, but what stood out to me were some verses that applied to such an event. These verses come from 1st and 2nd Thessalonians. You know I don't remember reading from these Books before, but they are packed with amazing instruction in a great number of areas.
The thoughts Thessalonians left me regarding the life long connection between me and those I have baptized are below:
I couldn't quit worrying; I had to know for myself how you were doing in the faith. I didn't want the Tempter getting to you and tearing down everything we had built up together.
In the middle of our trouble and hard times here, just knowing how you're doing keeps us going. Knowing that your faith is alive keeps us alive. What would be an adequate thanksgiving to offer God for all the joy we experience before him because of you?
We do what we can, praying away, night and day, asking for the bonus of seeing your faces again and doing what we can to help when your faith falters
You need to know, friends, that thanking God over and over for you is not only a pleasure; it's a must. We have to do it. Your faith is growing phenomenally; your love for each other is developing wonderfully. Why, it's only right that we give thanks.
Because we know that this extraordinary day <Christ's return> is just ahead, we pray for you all the time - pray that our God will make you fit for what he's called you to be, pray that he'll fill your good ideas and acts of faith with his own energy so that it all amounts to something.
What I notice is a two-way impact on me. I am forever connected to this person through concern for thier faith, their temptations, prayer for their lifewalk with Christ, to remain in their lives spiritually and physically. In turn I receive joy and the knowledge of their faith and growth will sustain me.
I never realized what a defined ongoing role I should play.
And what words can I share with this new believer...... also from Thessalonians.
Our God gives you everything you need, makes you everything you're to be.
Not that the troubles should come as any surprise to you. You've always known that we're in for this kind of thing. It's part of our calling.
All this trouble is a clear sign that God has decided to make you fit for the kingdom. You're suffering now, but justice is on the way. When the Master Jesus appears out of heaven in a blaze of fire with his strong angels, he'll even up the score by settling accounts with those who gave you such a bad time. Eternal exile from the presence of the Master and his splendid power is their sentence.
What I find so incredible and obvious, now that I've read it like this is the instruction to share with this still new-in-faith believer......TWO THINGS: 1. God will fully supply your needs. 2. Trouble will come and Jesus has an ultimate plan for justice. Regardless of what comes, persevere.
I remember right after Christ invited me to returned to Him, a moment shared between me and Jesus, I was overjoyed and overwhelmed with this joy!!!! I wanted to run, skip, shout, hug!! I couldn't wait to return to church the next evening.....and then I walked out the church doors to head home. Satan's field day began. I was so confused, how did I just feel such joy and now this voice in my head said "I didn't belong," "no one cared," "Jesus could never really accept me."
I was devastated and I didn't know where to turn. Thankfully, Jesus was always with me and walked me through this turbulent early beginnings. But how wonderful it might have been if only I had known this attack was coming, that trouble would forever loom.
I am thankful to have participated in two baptisms in my life. But I realize though I prepared for the event prayerfully and diligently with instruction beforehand, I have not followed through.
I love that God's Word is always teaching me and I am thankful I am open to His instruction.
The issue isn't that I didn't know before, but now that I have been enlightened what will I do with this knowledge?
Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for teaching me and showing me how I can grow in relationship with You and with the new believers You place in my life. Forgive me for failing to search for such instruction. I am so excited to know what I have learned today. Father, help me to apply post-haste. I want to be active in guiding them, I want to be available for You to work through me to impact us all. I love the two-way street. Father, I lay my goals and will aside that You may have all of me available as Your willing servant. I am excited to change, to grow and to continue on as You lead and teach. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment