In my last writing I explored almost these same verses that I am looking at today. Now that the non-believers from Jesus' time have provided insight and showing that we can trust Jesus is who He says, what does this text also share as an example for living out our faith Monday through Saturday.
Why Monday through Saturday..... well because it seems that Sunday should be pretty easy. For me there's church with the fellowship of all believers on Sunday morning, Sunday afternoons are pretty stress free and simple and then there's Sunday night surrounded by fellowship with students. If that's not an easy day for living out Christ, then I don't know what is! My Sunday's are for restoring my energy, rejuvenating and refueling my faith.... a preparation for Monday through Saturday.
So here comes Monday. Return to the routine. How do I live this out without the organized focus that Sunday provides? Without my fellow Christians studying beside me, encouraging me as they stand beside me, praising with me?
Acts 5:27-42 And when they had brought them (Peter & the apostles), they set them before the council. And the high priest questioned them, saying, "We strictly charged you not to teach in this name, yet here you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching, and you intend to bring this man's blood upon us." But Peter and the apostles answered, "We must obey God rather than men. The God of our fathers raised Jesus, whom you killed by hanging him on a tree. God exalted him at his right hand as Leader and Savior, to give repentance to Israel and forgiveness of sins. And we are witnesses to these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him." When they heard this, they were enraged and wanted to kill them. But a Pharisee in the council named Gamaliel, a teacher of the law held in honor by all the people, stood up and gave orders to put the men outside for a little while. And he said to them, "Men of Israel, take care what you are about to do with these men. For before these days Theudas rose up, claiming to be somebody, and a number of men, about four hundred, joined him. He was killed, and all who followed him were dispersed and came to nothing. After him Judas the Galilean rose up in the days of the census and drew away some of the people after him. He too perished, and all who followed him were scattered. So in the present case I tell you, keep away from these men and let them alone, for if this plan or this undertaking is of man, it will fail; but if it is of God, you will not be able to overthrow them. You might even be found opposing God!" So they took his advice, and when they had called in the apostles, they beat them and charged them not to speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go. Then they (Peter and the apostles) left the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer dishonor for the name. And every day, in the temple and from house to house, they did not cease teaching and preaching Jesus as the Christ.
So using fresh eyes and looking over almost identical verses from the other day how is it that God speaks a completely new message? Amazing! I love the Living Word of God and an open heart!
Today I saw several new things.
I saw Peter and the disciples in a non-welcoming environment filled with non-believers.... totally like my Monday through Saturday. Non-believers are everywhere!
However not usually so hostile here in the world I live and work. I have the freedom speak.
The apostles were told very specifically NOT to share their faith.... and so what did they do? Very simply spoke the truth..... because they HAD to...... when impassioned with the Holy Spirit they were bold in their faith.
I am no different than Peter. I am filled with the same Holy Spirit. Yet, do I proclaim so boldly? Am I as passionate Monday through Saturday?
Then there is the debate about leaders of that day who proved to be false prophets. How these leaders were killed and their followers scattered.
Jesus.... a RISEN SAVIOR. My personal Lord and Savior. His message still being proclaimed today. Jesus' followers were not scattered. They were together in Spirit, supporting one another in their faith..... definitely NOT SCATTERING.
So what happens on Monday through Saturday.... am I attentive to the will of God for each day? Am I on alert and tuned in to the needs of other believers as well as those around me, am I supporting believer's in their faith, am I willing?
That's it! Simply put.... am I willing to be available each day to what God has planned so that I know who is in my path that He wants to reach through me?
It's alot easier to be available and see His plan clearly if I begin my day asking Him to be seen through me, asking that there be less of me and more of Him flowing throughout my heart and finally that I follow through and truly follow where He leads.
I think that's why Peter makes it seem so easy. However, I don't know that easy is the right word.... perhaps it was just Peter, being Peter as He was created by God, filled with the Holy Spirit and truly following where God led that day.
If I am doing this, I could only respond the way Peter did. Proclaiming my faith boldly, seeing the situation clearly through God's eye and following where God led me.
So wherever I am, at whatever point it is in the day that I realize I have not given this day to God and made myself available for His work here on earth...... I need to stop, immediately and do just that. And then follow where He leads as I am passionately and boldly renewed with the presence of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit was always there, always in me, but now I'm allowing Him to work through me and to accept His invitation for the adventure of the day.
And then comes Tuesday, and I begin again. Another adventure through Christ awaits.... will I follow today?
No comments:
Post a Comment