Mark 12:13-17 Later they sent some of the Pharisees and Herodians to Jesus to catch him in his words. They came to him and said, "Teacher, we know you are a man of integrity. You aren't swayed by men, because you pay no attention to who they are; but you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. Is it right to pay taxes to Caesar or not? Should we pay or shouldn't we?" But Jesus knew their hypocrisy. "Why are you trying to trap me?" he asked. "Bring me a denarius and let me look at it." They brought the coin, and he asked them, "Whose portrait is this? And whose inscription?" "Caesar's," they replied. Then Jesus said to them, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's." And they were amazed at him.
First observation I note is the phrase "to catch Him in His words." How bold is that? To assume that Jesus could be "caught in His words" or be tripped up by these clever humans. I don't believe that I have put too much thought into this before.
I know at times I question something that God is asking me to do, or sometimes the lesson He is teaching me is harder than I'd prefer so I become argumentative perhaps. But my heart's intent is not to "trap" God into changing His mind on His instruction or request.
The goal of the Pharisees above speaks volumes of their state of heart and intention. The Pharisees are mentioned often enough to have a pretty good picture about their "self" way of life, but I don't think I had seen this particular insight before.
I also see how specifically they phrase their question, even try to feed Jesus' ego before getting to their question. Assuming Jesus has an ego to feed shows how much they have missed. But the arrogance in their own knowledge and abuse of what they know by failing to apply what they knew to their own heart is so very clear as they speak to Jesus.
The Bible spends a lot of time speaking on how the love of money can keep a person at arms length from a relationship with God, but the danger of knowledge appears to also be slippery slope. This "knowledge" that people have can create a easy trigger for inflating oneself above God or the power to talk around what they would choose to avoid.
Knowledge is powerful, but it is a gift and should be used for His glory, not to promote self-agenda.
A slippery slope indeed.
But Jesus beautifully and directly answers their question. "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, but give to God what is God's."
That requires a time to pause....
How much easier to pay Caesar!!!!
What does God require?
All of you, full surrender.
Mark 12:28-34 One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, "Of all the commandments, which is the most important?" "The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these." "Well said, teacher," the man replied. "You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him. To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices." When Jesus saw that he had answered wisely, he said to him, "You are not far from the kingdom of God." And from then on no one dared ask him any more questions.
'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.'
'Love your neighbor as yourself.'
I believe that I shall spend a lifetime pursuing God to live out His commands. And still I will fail...... everyday!
Abba, only You could sum up goals that lead to life in merely two commands. I would take pages upon pages and still not encompass everything. But You, have given me great commands to draw me closer to You as I would try to be obedient to Your call. Father I need you! Even knowing I will fail, I seek You. I am overwhelmed with the thought of the teaching You provided in my last writing. Jesus knew the response He would receive from the rich man when He told him to sell everything and follow Him. Knowing in advance that in the moment the rich man would hang his head and walk away in sadness, Jesus looked at Him and loved him. Abba I am overwhelmed as I realize that You KNOW I will fail even as I type this prayer.....yet I am totally surrounded by Your presence and Your love. Father, guide me, lay every step before me that I may follow You. I am overwhelmed by Your love and Your presence. I want to be where You are Abba, always!!! I want to be like the children who would wildly and excitedly jump up and down and tell everyone..... Do It, Do It!!! Follow Him!!! I love You my Father. I come before You through Christ who saved me. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment