Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Heart of God, the Father & the Son

John 8: 48-59   The Jews answered him, "Aren't we right in saying that you are a Samaritan and demon-possessed?"  "I am not possessed by a demon," said Jesus, "but I honor my Father and you dishonor me.  I am not seeking glory for myself; but there is one who seeks it, and he is the judge.  I tell you the truth, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death."  At this the Jews exclaimed, "Now we know that you are demon-possessed! Abraham died and so did the prophets, yet you say that if anyone keeps your word, he will never taste death.  Are you greater than our father Abraham? He died, and so did the prophets. Who do you think you are?"  Jesus replied, "If I glorify myself, my glory means nothing. My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the one who glorifies me.  Though you do not know him, I know him. If I said I did not, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and keep his word.  Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad."  "You are not yet fifty years old," the Jews said to him, "and you have seen Abraham!"  "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am!"  At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.

I'm not sure if I've read this passage before or not, but today I know that I did and what revealing words jumped out to me!

As I read it struck me that in the conversations and teachings of Jesus prior to this it says He is with a group of people, a great crowd, the disciples, sometimes random people or the Pharisees.  However in this passage He is having a conversation with the Jews, God's chosen people.

So how was Jesus greeted by His Father's chosen people?

First they questioned if He was demon-possessed.

Then they confirmed He was demon-possessed and questioned if Jesus thought He was greater than their father Abraham.

Then they issued further disbelief by saying "You are not fifty years old and You have seen Abraham?"  I can hear the sarcasm as I read their words.

And finally they picked up stones to stone Him. 
I know that my actions equally grieve my Father and His Son.  But the picture of God's chosen people preparing to pick up stones to stone Jesus created in me a small sampling of feelings that God must experience when we turn on Him, no matter how great or how small.

Thank You Father for the opportunity to see Your heart and Your love.  Father help me to continue to see You and to grow in Your teachings.  Father I want to see You everywhere that I go..... lead me Father, help me to stumble less and to be aware of how I grieve You.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment