Matthew 10:8b, 16, 19b-20, 28, 32-34, 37-39 Freely you have received, freely give. I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves. Do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you. Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. "Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven."Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. "Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and anyone who does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
I read these words in my daily reading today. Jesus was on a roll as He spoke in these pasaages! And as usual when I had completed reading and highlighting I see a message unfolding before me.
The don'ts that stood out are threefold...
Don't worry,
Don't be afraid,
Don't suppose.
Jesus isn't mincing words here. He's bold and very clear, with both the don'ts and the do's.
So what does He tell us to do?
Freely give
Be shrewd as snakes and simultaneously innocent as doves
Trust the Holy Spirit will provide words when you need them
Fear the One who can destroy both the soul and the body in hell
Acknowledge Him among men
Love Him above all others
Take up your cross and follow
Nothing easy about what this life in Christ looks like, I will fail especially if I try on my own. But this is what I am striving for: to please Him, to grow closer to Him, to follow His example, to be more like Him. Of the all instructions above, Jesus exemplified every single one as He walked this earth.
LORD, I want to be more like You. Help me to follow Your instructions, to seek You every moment, to have these always at the forefront of my thoughts and planted deep within my heart. In Christ, Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment