I know this title sounds a bit bizarre. But just go with me through my day and in the end God is so very cool and very personal in how He uses everything to draw us nearer to Him.
First and foremost, it is important to know that I have dentist-phobia and if you can't relate to this then you probably shouldn't read any further. It will just sound like I am ridiculous. Since my first trip to the dentist as a child I have been terrified of dental visits. It just might even be genetic because both my brother and me were referred to a pediatric dental specialist when we were little. Or perhaps fear breeds fear. It has gotten a little better with age, but not significantly.
Ok, that's my history with dentists now onto my day.
During our devotion this morning Jeff and I read Joshua 1:9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Be strong and courageous. I, the LORD your God will be with you. I will never leave you nor forsake you.
Good words, good devotion. But honestly it wasn't one of those devotional moments that stood out and immediately spoke to me as it related to my day. Just good words to grow deep roots in my heart.
The day goes from meeting to meeting and onto proposals and phone calls. Nothing spectacular, nothing combative. It's a good day.
1:48 pm I head to the dentist. It's a cleaning. I actually feel pretty calm.
I read a magazine, engage in some chit chat and then they call my name. I am still feeling calm.
Exam of teeth was good. Discussion of tartar build up? Not so good. They had a lot of work to do. It would be best if they used this hydra-thingy. All I heard was high pressure and VERY COLD water. My teeth on my left side are beyond super sensitive. I explain the sensitivity and she says let's just try it.
The right side went well. My hands were clenched, but I was calm. Moving toward the front left I start to feel the work being done. And heading to the left side I am internally on the verge of losing control.
I had to focus very hard to keep my breathing calm enough to avoid hyper ventilating, I could feel everything, my heart was racing and my hands were so clenched I could feel their coldness. Any second and I was going to cross over to a panic that would be beyond the point of no return.
At that very moment God enters the scene. My mind forgets where I am and what's happening. I have one thought "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid. I am with you WHEREVER you go. I will never leave you nor forsake you. I am here now."
This thought continually repeats. I feel His presence instantly. My hands relaxed. my breathing and heart slowed, I couldn't feel any of the cold on my teeth. I could only hear the sound of the machine.
The words continued to repeat in my head providing reassurance, peace and confidence.
Even at the dentist my God is with me and cares for me. For what I would write off as a silly over-the-top phobia...... my God sees my fear and reassures me of His presence and His command.
To serve a risen Savior, to have a personal relationship with God through the work of the Holy Spirit is beyond my comprehension. But I am so thankful. I know I have much more to learn about my God, to experience with Him and to grow in Him. With this Lenten season beginning today I am looking forward to each one of these areas increasing as I have committed to give up time each day to insure I am daily spending time intentionally focusing on my relationship with God.
Father, I woke up this morning excited to spend time with You today. I am looking forward to spending my lunch time with You and to see You move throughout my day. I love you Abba.
No comments:
Post a Comment