Thursday, January 31, 2013

Focus

Yesterday's Bible Study posed the question to me:  what is hardest for you in your relationship with Christ?

My answer for what I am facing today would be to focus on Christ, to not take my eyes off of Him throughout each day, to focus on Him in each moment of each day, to see Him clearly and know His direction for my path.  The world throws distractions and I guess I am easily distracted and my focus on Christ is less than intentional.

The study concluded by saying this should be an area I direct my prayers.  Seek Him to overcome this area.

Excellent advice!!!

Then I am greeted with this morning's devotion and I feel armed with a good cousel.

Matthew 14:22-33  Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd. After he had dismissed them, he went up on a mountainside by himself to pray.
Later that night, he was there alone, and the boat was already a considerable distance from land, buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it.  Shortly before dawn Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost,” they said, and cried out in fear.
But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”
“Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”
 “Come,” he said.
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”
Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”
And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down.
Then those who were in the boat worshiped him, saying, “Truly you are the Son of God.”

Two thoughts immediately popped in my head.

One:  Staying focused on Christ is crucial.  I have never walked with Jesus the man, never seen His face.  The disciples did.  And yet when He approached them in the boat, they didn't recognize Him.  How much easier will it be for me to not see Him clearly if I am not focused on Him?  The world is a LOUD place.  It is understandable why Jesus went to a quiet ALONE to spend time with the Father.  Staying focused on Christ requires intentionality in my relationship with Him.

Two:  With Jesus standing right in from of Peter, with both of them miraculous standing on the water, Peter is distracted by the wind.  Invisible wind, a known condition, yet so distracting to Peter that He became lost to the moment and His focus on Christ.  He became afraid.  This is possible with Jesus standing right in front of him!  I shall take this as a warning, if it can happen so easily to Peter in this circumstance then I must be bei prepared, armed and focused on Christ throughout each day.

For what I am going through right now I hear my Father reminding me the that I need to focus very intentionally on Him.  I hear His warning that it won't take much to create a distraction.  Be prepared, be armed, stay focused.

Thank You, Father.  Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment