Wednesday, April 5, 2017

What's in a Name; And God's Promise

Genesis 8-11

I have two things that stood out in today's reading.

ONE

After the great flood, Noah and his family return to land and repopulate. The ending of these chapters is spent listing the descendants of Noah and his sons. One name stood out to me.

Gn 10:8-9  Cush fathered Nimrod, he was first on the earth to be a mighty man. He was a mighty hunter before the LORD. Therefore it said, "Like Nimrod a mighty hunter before the LORD."

Nimrod's skills sound impressive and powerful. Since people's names in that time reflected meaning you knew a great deal about Nimrod without even witnessing him in action. AMAZING and beautiful.

When I read just his name before finishing the sentence I thought "YIKES" that's not a good name. Today Nimrod has socially come to mean 'inadequate.' How my misinformation and today's times painted such a different picture. I will admit that not all names from biblical times had meanings that carried a good connotation, but good or bad the name relayed information. I wish names still meant something.

TWO

Gn 9:12,14,15b  And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant that I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations: When I bring clouds over the earth the bow is seen in the clouds. My covenant is the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh.

This is God's promise to Noah, every living creature that is with Noah, and ME TOO (all future generations.) Way back in Genesis, after the flood, God includes me in His promise! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. It's not just a promise at that moment to Noah, it really is all encompassing.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment