Genesis 1-3
Gn 2:16-17 And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”
Gn 3:1 Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?”
I didn't catch what God said in 16-17 when I first read it. When I read Gn 3:1 it made me curious, what were God's exact words?
When I looked I realized God said "you are free...." We are free! Are there boundaries? Limits? Yes, absolutely but in Christ we are free. God opens His sentence reiterating this freedom.
We are only a hostage to sin. Sinful choices always have consequences. There is no escaping these consequences not for believer or non-believer.
For the believer remembering the freedom that comes through Christ and who Christ is leads us to choose more wisely and easily. Not seeing with the view of what we "can't have" but what is good for us.
However if I didn't have the words to look back upon in 16-17 there would be room for Satan to cast doubt. When God speaks or teaches me something I need to make sure I am listening, paying close attention and learning so that there will be no room for doubt when temptation comes my way and tries to twist what God has spoken.
No comments:
Post a Comment