Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Light Bulb Moments!!

Working in student ministry is so rewarding for me!  Student Ministry combines my passion, my gifts & talents and provides an outlet for me to join God in His work.

A student recently mentioned she was going on a family vacation and would be gone for a couple of weeks.  As she talked she shared that she would feel so disconnected from our youth group and would miss everyone so much while she was away.  I asked her if she was reading daily devotions and if she would like me to share devotions with her everyday by reading the same passage and emailing our thoughts to each other while she was gone?  She said she was reading a daily devotion and she would love that.  She said it would help her with still feeling connected to everyone and also in accountability.  I love this!!!!

And so it began, our daily reading and sharing.  We started in the middle of Jeremiah which is a really weird place to pick up and begin reading.  But we did.

This morning I awoke to an email from my devotional friend.  An excerpt of what she wrote is below:
"I couldn't believe how blind the Israelites were being. God was telling them exactly why he was angry and what he was going to do, but they just kept ignoring him and doing what they wanted. Sometimes, I sit and think wow, if God was actually talking to me, I would listen! But then I step back and realize that I act just like them sometimes. I am so grateful that God continues to give us all second chances."

I REALLY LOVE THIS!! 

I remember reading in Exodus about the grumbling Isrealites very early in my walk with Christ.  I remember wondering how they could respond to God the way that they were.  I then I realized I was exactly the same, how dare I point my finger at them!  I was so ashamed!

That was my light bulb moment and as a result I am forever closely connected and related to the Isrealites.  We all are.  I love it when someone else has a light bulb moment.  It is wonderful when the light goes on in students.... a new life unfolds with them as they realize the bible is not a compilation of stories about people long ago, but it is their story, our own story, your story!! 

Thank You Father for equipping me with passion, talents & gifts to work with students.  Thank You for supplying an outlet to serve.  To You alone may the glory be seen.  I love You Father and through Your Son I am blessed with an abundant life in You!  Thank You Father for everything that I am and will ever be.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment